Summit XV – 2014
Last year, the Center for Educator Development in Fine Arts (CEDFA) debuted the newly approved student standards in art, dance, music and theatre at Summit XIV and through a set of regional workshops conducted for over 4,000 teachers. These efforts were aimed at building awareness for the new standards and the changes they will bring to the field. Already, districts across the state are preparing themselves for implementation in 2015.
This June, at Summit XV, fine arts educators will delve deeper into the standards —learning how to use these new TEKS as creative tools that reinvigorate their curricula and strengthen their teaching practices. This year’s focus will be on applying and internalizing the new TEKS so that participants leave the Summit able to update and adapt any lesson to the new student standards. State leaders in fine arts education will guide each of the four discipline-specific sessions, allowing participants to create, collaborate, connect, and share ideas and processes with their colleagues.
Throughout these sessions participants will
- Use, experience, and apply the new TEKS during structured, hands-on activities
- Experience the common themes that run throughout the new standards including:
- 21st Century Skills,
- Technology, and
- Interdisciplinary connections.
- Iterate through a process for adapting existing lessons
- Externalize and examine thinking strategies used to shift the focus of a lesson to explore the various themes in the TEKS
- Collaborate to develop curricular materials based on the new TEKS
- Share, synthesize and apply new ideas derived through collaborative work
- Discover a set of creative thinking and problem solving tools that can be used to redesign any curricular material to align it with the new TEKS
- Articulate these skills and strategies into personal maps for use in their own classrooms and with their students
Each Summit participant will leave the conference with a set of strategies for implementing the new TEKS in their classrooms as well as a collection of newly aligned lesson materials they can put to use immediately. Finally, CEDFA will collect and build a pool of these resources, to be made available on an ongoing basis throughout the year.
The Hilton will have a website available shortly for you to reserve rooms for the Summit at a discounted rate. Please note that room reservations are handled by Hilton Hotels and are separate from the Summit registration. Check back on this website for updates on room rates and reservations.